Future of Wailea: Proposed Wailea Developments
On Thursday (Sept. 12, 2013), the Wailea Community Association held a meeting with approx. 160 people in attendance at the new and shiny Andaz Hotel (read more about Andaz Hotel here http://maui.andaz.hyatt.com/en/hotel/our-hotel.html). The highly acclaimed Iron Chef “Morimoto” will be opening this winter at the hotel. It is a highly anticipated arrival (more about this hotel in a later blog).
The purpose of this meeting was to introduce those dormant and shelved projects that are now awakening in Wailea. As the economy pulls out of its recession, developers are perking up and trying to time the next upward wave on Maui real estate. With Wailea Condo median prices showing strong signs of +34% increase as of Aug. 2013 compared to last year and single family homes seeing increases of +105% over last year, it comes to no surprise that the developers are making preparations. If any of you have ever had to deal with Maui County approvals and Association approvals, it is not for the faint of heart. It is an arduous and painstakingly slow process, so in order to get a project to break ground one must plan ahead- far ahead. So with Wailea Honuaula receiving all the attention (formerly Wailea 670) and still in the process of getting all its permits, approvals ( going on for decades now), one might forget about those quiet, not terribly big vacant lots between complexes in Wailea. So if you are wondering what’s to become of them, here is what was proposed. Please keep in mind the very important word here is “proposed”. Therefore there is no guarantee it will come to fruition; or that there won’t be any changes to designs, units, heights, names etc. This is simply what was proposed.
It is important to note that the original Wailea planned resort community had 3500 residential units in mind. Wailea currently has approx. 2100 -2200 residential units. Thus Wailea is well under the number of the original planned resort community.
8 Proposed Wailea Development Projects
- “Island Country Market” :located at the Shops at Wailea. Gourmet grocery store with al fresco dining. Estimated break ground date is Spring of 2014. Projected opening date 2015. Local company is developer who currently has similar type business but not privy to info yet. Although rumors are that it is ABC stores who have similar concept markets at Ko Olina. 16,468 s.f. includes market, restaurant and wine bar
- Wailea Blue (next to Manolis): Single story buildings to house possible office and retail. Wailea Blue is developer. Site is original location of clubhouse
Hole #6 will become hole #1 and #15 will be #10
Still working on location for driving range
Awaiting County permits to begin next phase
Hoping to relocate clubhouse and add space in 2014
Future phases may be 3-5 years
Architecture in new phases to match style of existing building
Landscaping to screen parking from neighbors has been discussed with Ekolu Board and will be Arecas.
- SF 11 : Wailea Golf Estates II-16 lots for Single Family homes. Entry thru Wailea Golf Estates. 15 of the lots will front the golf course. Around 14,000 SF lots. Oct. 2014 (?). 16 lot single-family subdivision site located between the 15th and 5th Holes of the blue course on the old driving range site.
15 lots will be golf fronting with partial water views and average 14,000 SF in size.
The 16 new lots will share ownership of the 3″ water meter on site and have individual private sub meters.
Each new lot will become part of a land condo home owners association and will be annexed into the Golf Estates HOA.
Height restrictions for new buildings will maintain views from existing neighboring properties.
New home designs will conform to the WCA CC&Rs.
- MF 11 (Bluffs) -Keala O Wailea (Path of Wailea): Located behind Wailea Gateway Center. These were lots for single family homes but now got changed to Condominiums. 7 (2-3 story) buildings. Each building has 10 units. 70 units in total. Presale on units to start around 2014. Construction of the units to be 18-24 months. Armstrong Builders.
- MF-15-Makali’i at Wailea (named after constellation of stars). Located approx. behind Wailea Point on Mauka side of street. 17 buildings. Lots of glass. Combination of modern and retro feel. 1500 SF-over 1700 SF units. Armstrong Builders.
- MF-7 -Hoku O Wailea (Star of Wailea). Off Okolani drive near Kai Malu. 75 units. 15 (3 storied units). Each building has 5 units. 2 bedrrom approx. 1500 SF lanai 280 SF. Penthouse units to have 2200 SF. 500 SF Lanai. Construction maybe 2015. A&B Wailea
- MF-10- Piilani Suites. Hotel built near Wailea Town Center. 3-4 storied Htel. 200 suites. Unbranded yet. R.D Olson Development.
I will write again on this as more information becomes available. Please note all information is subject to change as these developments are not final.
Mahalo and a hui hou…
Jeannie Kong REALTOR (S)